Hannah and Joe got married at one of my favorite Mobile churches last week – Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. It was such a beautiful day amongst their friends and families. There are many reasons that I love the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception so much. Here are just a few of them.👇🏼
- It is in the heart of downtown. It’s within walking distance to so many places and other (reception) venues too.
- The Portier house is located right across the street, and it’s the perfect place for the wedding party to get ready at. It is plenty roomy, and it’s so nice that it is right there. This is where Hannah and her bridesmaids got ready at it, and it was great. Also since Hannah and Joe got married in the Summer, it was a great place to take a few breaks from the heat as well while taking photos.
- The Cathedral has such a beautiful courtyard and makes the perfect place for photos. It’s large enough for wedding party photos, family photos, and works great for bride and groom photos too. It’s shady so that if you are getting married in the Alabama heat, it isn’t direct sunlight. It’s private, so you don’t have people walking around as much as you do in the parks downtown.
- I can’t mention the Cathedral without talking about the gorgeous columns and stairs. The large white columns are so picturesque and grand. It’s one of my favorite places in all of Mobile for photos. I’m obsessed with the stairs. It’s there perfect place to stagger larger groups shots.
- The inside of the Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception is just as grand as the outside. It has more of the large commons inside as that are topped with gold. The ceilings have so much intricate design and detail to them. Every time I walk inside I’m amazed at all of the detail. The stained glass windows each have a separate design to them. Another feature that I love about the Cathedral is the white marble floors. A lot of times, churches will have a darker floor, and it might be colored dark red, or green. These white floors photograph beautifully and don’t cast any color tones on my subjects when I’m photographing them. Only a photographer would notice this.
Hannah and Joe allowed in their timeline a few minutes after the ceremony for some just married photos, and I’m so glad they did. I love the way they turned out, and I love that we were able to get some photos of them at Cathedral Square.
Hannah wore her great grandmother’s pearls, and her engagement ring belonged to Joe’s grandmother. I think it is so sweet that they had these special heirlooms incorporated throughout the day.
Their reception was held at The Athelstan Club. This was actually my first time photographing a reception there, and so I loved being able to see another Mobile, AL venue. It is in walking distance from the Cathedral as well. It’s a couple of blocks away, but not a bad walk at all.
I’m so thankful that I was able to work with Hannah and Joe on their wedding day. I loved being able to get to know them, and their families. I’m excited for their future, and I wish them a lifetime of happiness.
Lead Photographer: Jennie Tewell
Second Shooter: Brianna Hemphill
Wedding Planner: Jenna Laine Weddings
Ceremony Location: Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
Reception Location: The Athelstan Club
Florist: Belle Bouquet
Wedding Cake: Cakes by Judi
Band: Cooper Trent
Hair and Makeup: Hair and Makeup by Chaney
Bride’s Dress: Bellas Bridal
Bridesmaids’s Dresses: Bellas Bridal